Never Forget
What were you doing 8 years ago today? When I realized what date it is, I teared up thinking about all the families whose lives changed so significantly that day. Then I thought about how I felt and what I was doing on September 11, 2001...
I was at Ohio State marching band tryouts as a squad leader, giving drill and judging tryouts. I stayed outside all morning for marching tryouts, and a couple of times people who had been inside for music auditions said something about 'planes flying into the Pentagon' and 'the towers collapsing.' It didn't register at all, I totally thought people were just messing around. That couldn't really happen, right? Wrong.
Around noon, we headed to the front of the field and Dr. Woods announced what was happening and what we knew about it so far. A few of people had parents, relatives, or boyfriends that were in NY and worked in the towers. Kevin's aunt was in NY that week, stuck on the subway (and of course we didn't know at that time if she was ok.)
We went to Mongolian BBQ for a row dinner that night. The TVs in the restaurant just kept showing the towers fall over and over and over, and that was the first footage I had seen that day.
Kevin was at law school in Cleveland, watching it on the TVs. They tried to look up information online, but the sites were all down because of the high traffic.
It's been 8 years, but we'll always remember that day.
Comments
Post a Comment
Drop me a line!